Saturday, July 5, 2008

Tiger Lily

On a recent trip to the Quniault National Forest on the Olympic Penninsula, I found several of these tiger lillies in bloom. Naturally, I stopped to photograph them.

For this one I used a Nikon 105mm VR macro lens with a 2x teleconverter. I had one of my fellow hikers hold my reflector with the silver side facing the flower, and aimed my flash into the reflector, with the flash's secondary emitter enabled.

The dark background is a result of using a fairly high shutter speed because I was hand-holding the camera, and the background was in shadow. I usually prefer to record some of the background along with the subject to give it context, but sometimes the black background works, because it allows the viewer to see the subject with no distractions.

No comments: